Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > General Discussions > Topic : My thoughts on AEF as I test it out

News:

Group Message
Hello Guest,

Welcome to the AEF Board. AEF is getting better and better and is also becoming more popular.
Take a few seconds to Register, its free, and it inspires us to work harder and improve on whatever we can improve on.
Give us some feedback, and tell your buddies about AEF!

Thanks,
The AEF Team

Threaded Mode | Print  

My thoughts on AEF as I test it out, Some things I have to say about this software (20 Replies, Read 25950 times)
mythus
Group: Member
Post Group: Working Newbie

Bwahahaha?
Greetings,

I have been testing out AEF for a little over a day now and I have made the following post on my AEF test forum. If you don't mind I would like to share it with you all. Also if this is the wrong forum to post this please forgive me and feel free to move it. Thanks.

Greetings,

This here is a record of my findings and thoughts while testing AEF.

It so far is my conclusion that AEF is an excellent forum software. It has remained up even when I was getting server errors in SMF on the same very server. It is 4 times as fast as SMF, or any forum I've used for that matter. And it comes with basically everything I need without need for mods.

Here's what I have found.
It is fast. A Page created in Page Created In:0.035 is amazing! It takes SMF at it's quickest 0.05. Now when SMF is getting those odd server out errors, this page still loads though at a slower speed. The slowest I have marked was 2.1 sec. This was when it was also taking me almost 12 seconds before I could load a page in SMF. It is no doubt that that is a server issue caused by running on free servers, and I feel very confident that on paid for servers this would not occur.

It does integrate with MKPortal very well. This test site does not demonstrate it but I have seen it. In fact it comes bundled with MKPortal software as it's default forum. Right now I am using MKPortal with SMF thus I would be able to keep that similarity if need be.

It is easy as hell to use. No looking for things or wondering how to do something, it is straigth to the point IMO.

Now here's some stuff I really love...

1.) I love how when you create a forum yo have a spot there to put rules or info for that forum and it is displayed in that forum's index. Just imagine how helpful that is! I can put in the land information in that land's board and when you go in that board BAM! there it is. Just look at the Testing Asteria forum for an example. I can't begin to tell you how much I love that feature. SMF has a mod that is supposed to give that feature.. but the mod doesn't work well... especially if you use a theme other than the core default theme. In AEF it works regardless because nothing is dependent on the theme. Absolutely wonderful.

2.) I also appreciate that there is already by default a Topic Description field. I had to add a mod for it in SMF and really wish that my members would use it more. Listing general area or whatever of the post would be helpful I think in looking for a post in the topic index. But as I said it was a mod in SMF... it is part of the software in AEF. One less thing to accidentally break!

3.) I like how the ACP and the Forums Index are joined together. I can easily go back to forum index and back to ACP. Not the case in SMF.

4.) Installing themes is easy!. Being a free server I have to upload the theme files manually into AEF and then import the folder. BUt on decent paid for servers I have the option there to just upload the zip file from my computer and it's done! I haven't had a broken theme file yet and I have uploaded several. Members can see them and use them via their User CP.

5.) I love the way the User CP is done. Much easier to use than SMF.

6.) Did I mention the speed? And how easy it is to use? Oh... I did didn't I.

7.) The posting editors are nice. You can choose between WYSIWYG or standard BBCode via that little AA button. Really nifty.

8.) I am not sure how I feel about the Quick Reply. You have to click on it to open it, it isn't open already like on SMF. And it hovers. It might be nice or it might be a hinderance. But at least it is there lol.

9.) You can make a post over 1000 lines long. Very impressive.

10.) The little Dock at the bottom is neat but I am not sure if I really like it or not. I can turn it off so it's all good.

11.) I can add a navigational breadcrum (like at the top where it says you are here and it shows you where you are basically) at the bottom too. Nice! DOn't have to go back to the top to go to index lol.

12.) If you are in a post and realize you need to log in, you log in and it takes you back to where you left off. Pretty awesome!

I am sure there is more. SO far I am loving playing with AEF and think it would make an excellent home for LofN. However there are a few minor things that I do want to point out.

1.) Lack of themes. There are some themes, but not a lot. Admittedly AEF is new and not widely known. It is however discouraging to see a neat theme only to find it is no longer there.

2.) Lack of mods. Again it is new, and really aren't many mods I would need.. if any lol. But still something to point out.

Other that those two things everything looks great for AEF! Now back to playing with the forums some more.

Anyways thanks for your hardwork on making this excellent forum software. I hope it will be enlighting to read a user's thoughts as he is getting to know AEF.

-----------------------
AEF Docs
Legends of Nor'Ova - Post Apocalyptic RP forum
IP: --   

My thoughts on AEF as I test it out
pulkit
Group: Administrator
Post Group: Super Member
WE are working on the last two points!
Thanks for the good words.

-----------------------
Board Image

AEF now featuring in Softaculous - Auto Installer : http://www.softaculous.com
Rate for AEF - http://www.softaculous.com/softwares/forums/AEF

mythus

Bwahahaha?
Yeah I know. Sucks not having alot of people donating themes and such But really the fact that those are the only two things I could find negative is why I am sold on AEF. Really fantastic Pulkit. I have used and administered many different forum softwares before and this is the only one that has gotten me excited.

Thus soon my site will be converted from SMF to AEF. As I told my site members, AEF is the future. I see great things for it.

-----------------------
AEF Docs

pulkit
May be we are not just that popular and it takes time to bring down biggies and be big enough yourself

-----------------------
Board Image

mythus

Bwahahaha?
I almost fully have my smf board posts transfered to AEF board. Some of the members have registered over as well. Being that there is no convertor, I had to move the old fashion way. Copy and paste. A lot of work but worth it! I wouldn't go through the trouble with any other board out there.

Also a member who was testing forums with me to help me decide is converting his phpbb3 forum over to AEF. Not sure he will be signing up over here or not but I know he plans to make a custom theme for my AEF board. If he gives me permission I will share it with you when it is done.

So yeah, AEF isn't popular and stuff yet, but that is because they don't know AEF. I believe many more would fall in love with it if they gave it a chance. I know I sure did. I am definetly lovin' AEF!

-----------------------
AEF Docs

jlhaslip
Group: Support

Local / private text here
So yeah, AEF isn't popular and stuff yet, but that is because they
don't know AEF. I believe many more would fall in love with it if they
gave it a chance. I know I sure did. I am definitely lovin' AEF!

May we quote you on that?

-----------------------
Board Image

Joshy

Head of AEF Themers
:P thanks for the great feedback. I'll be trying to work on the first negative point you had.

-----------------------
Maybe if I just drink half, I'll be half buzzed for half the time, who's the master mind behind that little line.

mythus

Bwahahaha?
Of course you may quote me lol.

-----------------------
AEF Docs

pulkit
Thanks for the great words.
Also you can always help AEF if you want to join in.
Just make some themes or Mods yourself!

-----------------------
Board Image

dr17
Oh, btw pulkit...

why don't you keep a separate page for mods and themes? like in Simplemachines...

I noticed that most users share their themes, but would ask you to register on their site first. That's a complete waste of time.

so I'm suggesting a separate page for mods and themes for AEF ^^...

only a suggestion though.

-----------------------
Make sure you're mod is secure before sharing it  :nerd:

==> Creating Custom themes for AEF  :)  just post it at the theme section, and I'll see if I could get back to you  ;-D

mythus

Bwahahaha?
I agree. Or a download center with screen shots and demo links.

While it may be nice for the site owner to be able to have exclusive AEF themes and mods at their own site and request membership to get them, it isn't necessarily good for the AEF community as a whole, especially in this early stage of life.

The primary method to attract new users is to show it's many uses and a good selection of themes and what not availalbe. Once that is done, more will flock here and assist hopefully, with AEF's developement.

-----------------------
AEF Docs

pulkit
Already in the making:
http://www.anelectron.com/themes

-----------------------
Board Image

mythus

Bwahahaha?
Excellent!

-----------------------
AEF Docs

jlhaslip
Group: Support

Local / private text here
Upload your Theme when it is ready for distribution...

-----------------------
Board Image

Joshy

Head of AEF Themers
Edit: Fixed :P

Edited by Joshy : November 23, 2008, 8:10 am

-----------------------
Maybe if I just drink half, I'll be half buzzed for half the time, who's the master mind behind that little line.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
, pulkit, jlhaslip, Positron, kab012345, Squealer, Joshy, alkutob, CarlF, fbforum, cufcash, dr17, viru5678, opiates, tastycakes, mythus, FIFTHWIND, Nesa, redwarren, LarryA, acidtech, bobkee, Chasingu, PeterMartin, noaptus, n7yo, JulioM, MarkAtLocoshop, ReasontooBelieve, PascM, Munk, kword, storm, arunkumarm, white_eagle, dpanov, VasiliyRS, Michel, ghazi119, Chakkal, SAFAD, cristrixy, Insaneboi, stevenjotello, bomeapappyGog, michealkaan

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.