Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > General Discussions > Topic : Popularity

News:

Group Message
Hello Guest,

Welcome to the AEF Board. AEF is getting better and better and is also becoming more popular.
Take a few seconds to Register, its free, and it inspires us to work harder and improve on whatever we can improve on.
Give us some feedback, and tell your buddies about AEF!

Thanks,
The AEF Team

Threaded Mode | Print  

Popularity, How to make your forum popular (7 Replies, Read 8582 times)
Rossco92
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie

Rawr!
I've always wanted to start up an online community, mainly about PC's, Mac's, Linux etc etc as I don't know about much else really  :nerd: But the daunting prospect is how I would go about making it popular, does any one have any tips as to how to make an online community relatively popular. I don't so much mean how to get noticed on Google, just how to attract people who visit to sign up and actually post regularly

Edited by Rossco92 : May 2, 2008, 6:46 pm
IP: --   

Popularity
ChunLi

I Kick Like A Girl
You have a post in hacking section about buying a Mac / running Linux = less vulnerability. Dont you believe that the popularity factor means exactly more problems for you? =))

Is very important to have content! A good content.
If you are good at Mac, Win, Nix, and you make/already have -friends for a nice software community, just go ahead. Is easy to setup a forum board on the internet. Everybody has a chance. Look at that guy with thefree domains site, using AEF, he is trying something at least!!! Everybody talks today about Seo and Google webmaster tools. You will learn something anyway, if not Seo or people's behavior over the internet, at least you'll learn things about you and about Mac/Win/Nix :))

A better forum is a forum with hq content, not a popular one. Linux and Mac were not so spread all over the internet forums in early '90 and this thing was benefic in a way: less admins or roots equals less people with trouble or with great chances to show their stupidity.

Popularity
CarlF
Post Group: Elite Member

No longer on the AEF Team
I have to agree with some of the things ChunLi has said, and disagree with some others

I agree that the real way to get people to join your community is to be visible in others...

typically if you cant get a bunch of people talking on other people's boards then you wont be able to keep them coming back on your own... it's about being a personality that people know... and that others who have those types of personality are drawn to...

from there it's just a matter of getting a few of them to follow you... if you have tons of friends on other boards who have tons of friends on boards that you arent already on then it's a network of people to bring in to your site... you have to have people excited about your site and about what you stand for...

as far as the content thing goes... I think attitude is more important than content at first... people want to feel at home and comfortable to just spew all their knowledge out and to share their thoughts on a subject...

between having a network of friends who can get eachother to show up, and having a feeling that gets them to talk you should end up with a rather popular board like you want.

if you just try to create content then your board will rely on you too much and they will expect you to get them talking.. but if you bring in people with strong and interesting opinions then they will create their own content :)

hope that helps some.

-----------------------
As a team we will make AEF what we dream of it being.
Board Image

Popularity
pulkit
Group: Administrator
Post Group: Super Member
First of all you must have something that people really like. People will come to your site only if they get something from there. Also you got to imagine WHY WILL people come to your site first and not go to someone else's place which is already reknowned. You got to be out of the box. All the SEO and GOOGLE Indexing primarily depend on your content and link backs.

-----------------------
Board Image

AEF now featuring in Softaculous - Auto Installer : http://www.softaculous.com
Rate for AEF - http://www.softaculous.com/softwares/forums/AEF

Popularity
CarlF
Post Group: Elite Member

No longer on the AEF Team
without a doubt... the best thing you can do for search engine ranks is have lots of people who give references to your site :) maybe people who are likely to talk about your site on another forum, or link to it via their myspace account, or other sites that are similar but offer something different trading links (for example if you have a tech forum, you might could put a link to someone with a tech blog's site on yours and they could link to yours etc)

it's all about how often google and yahoo see other sites linking to ya

-----------------------
As a team we will make AEF what we dream of it being.
Board Image

Popularity
liquidbroadcast123
Let me suggest you if you really want to make it popular, forum needs to make sure healthy discussion and conversations continue to flow and things do not get heated up.
That's it.

-----------------------
Best Video Encoder | Albuquerque IT services | webcasting

Popularity
RubyOctavia
I am agree with liquidbroadcast123 Keep following is good idea.

-----------------------
Build your own website in minutes!
Free website designer
Website creating

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
, pulkit, krates, jlhaslip, Snowman01, chembook, ChunLi, Rossco92, Armando_G, daris, CarlF, wmason, Shinsou, GamePortal, Ivan, execguy, Crazy_girl, Kalamasnik, LarryA, hamonpari, angiethom, cristrixy, Sammael, TasosP, liquidbroadcast123, RubyOctavia

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.