Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Advanced Electron Forums > Development > Topic : AEF Multiforums LIVE DEMO!

A2 Hosting

News:

Group Message
Hello Guest,

Welcome to the AEF Board. AEF is getting better and better and is also becoming more popular.
Take a few seconds to Register, its free, and it inspires us to work harder and improve on whatever we can improve on.
Give us some feedback, and tell your buddies about AEF!

Thanks,
The AEF Team

Threaded Mode | Print  

AEF Multiforums LIVE DEMO!, Script coming soon for download! (26 Replies, Read 30447 times)
BMR777
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Hello All!

I have made a Multiforums script for AEF so you can become a free AEF forum host!  I am still working on the bugs that the script has, however I do have a demo available so you can see it in action!

DEMO HERE

I basically took my MyBB Multiforums Script and ported it to AEF.  I will make a download available within the coming weeks as I work out the bugs and create the host admin panel.

Try out the script and let me know what you think!  Any comments / suggestions are welcome.

Also, if you want updates on this script join my Multiforums Forums as I will post all downloads and updates on those forums.

Let me know what you all think.
BMR777
IP: --   

AEF Multiforums LIVE DEMO!
Lewtheo
Post Group: Super Member
Hehe, never saw anything like this before

Explain to me how it works, I am intreged, I made one which is

aef1/lewtheo/ -> So is this like a new folder that links to all the AEF stuff? Its rather neat

Great work :)

-----------------------
Swoova - the next generation social network experience.

kab012345

Super Dooper Moderator :) guess who?
ha, Congrats on beating me. :-(
Not giving up though, :P . `*`

Edited by kab012345 : March 27, 2008, 9:43 pm

-----------------------
Retired Support Staff  :nerd:

jlhaslip
Group: Support

Local / private text here
I've built one too. Seems to work okay. Fast to do.

I will be very keen on  the release of the package into Beta (or Alpha)  testing.

-----------------------
Board Image

BMR777
Lewtheo, the operation of this is actually quite simple, but is at first a bit hard to implement.  Basically, the installer that you used to make a new forum inserts the database queries into the database and uses the forum name as the prefix.

Then when you call up a URL some custom code in universal.php detects the forum you want from the requested URL.  If the database has a prefix that is the same as the URL you wanted then the forum is called up.  I had to make some custom code to detect the URL, chop it into a usable form (that's why names can only be 6 or 7 characters, because of the chopping) and then finally the database is queried to see if a forum with the requested table prefix exists, if it does then the forum comes up.

It all actually runs off of one set of files.  When the installer is run it adds code to the .htaccess file to trick the server into thinking a directory with the AEF files exists for each forum, but there is really only one set of files.  Also, any themes installed on the master forum are imported into hosted forums.  I also had to neuter some admin panel features that would be unsafe for a shared server, such as MySQL information and database backups.

I will release a download of this once I fix up the admin panel some so it is usable in a live environment.

BMR777

Edited by BMR777 : March 27, 2008, 11:32 pm

BMR777
I honestly hope you are going to be releasing this as a "version" like
you did with your MyBB one. The form is so buggy, you auto make the
users username as Admin, let THEM choose, same with password, This
would honestly have to get fixed up quite a bit before I personally
would think about paying for a license. Just my opinion.

It is still buggy, I know.  I will also be looking more into how AEF makes new users during the install and I hope to implement a system where users can choose their own username / password.  This will not be for a while though as I need to get the core code written first.

BMR777

jlhaslip

Suggestion:

Have two users created at Install.

The first one being the "Root Admin" which the script owner knows about and that has access to all the database stuff and is never known publicly.

The second user could be an Admin level user with the same name as the Forum "sub-directory" which is the user that is known publicly. This User information would be in the email to the Forum creator and would 'run' the Forum operation for the users.

The first user could do the back-ups, etc. The second user could mod the accessible Admin functions for the Forum???

-----------------------
Board Image

BMR777
What I want to do is have one MASTER forum that has access to the features such as importing themes and then the rest are like they are now, restricted.  Honestly though I am not too worried about backups as they can be made easily with PHPMyAdmin, you don't need the AEF backup panel.

Also, Random, I did add the ability for users to choose their own username.  As far as the password goes, however, I want to keep it the default how it is now, that way you can easily prune forums that never bothered to change the default password.  I find that most forums installed are never used or just used for testing.

BMR777

Lewtheo
Hey thanks for explaining, does this mean that you will have one hell of a massive database then??

-----------------------
Swoova - the next generation social network experience.

BMR777
Depending on how many forums you will host things can get fairly massive.  That's why I have a prune system in the mod, so you can get rid of inactive forums and just host active ones.  Once the database gets to around 5000 tables just install the script to a second directory and use another database.

BMR777

I have made a beta version available for download.  See the mod topic here for more info.

Also, I have decided to make this free software, so you can use it free for commercial use if you would like.  You can also modify it to suit your needs as long as you keep the copyright for the script as well as the AEF copyright intact.

BMR777

Edited by kab012345 : March 28, 2008, 5:30 pm

pulkit
Group: Administrator
Good work BMR.

-----------------------
Board Image

AEF now featuring in Softaculous - Auto Installer : http://www.softaculous.com
Rate for AEF - http://www.softaculous.com/softwares/forums/AEF

Amrik09
Nice this !!!
One question!
Can I host aefmultiforum  by using a single database!!  :??:

-----------------------
Board Image

kab012345

Super Dooper Moderator :) guess who?
Quote From : Amrik09 April 3, 2008, 9:33 pm
Nice this !!!
One question!

Lol, thats what its for.

-----------------------
Retired Support Staff  :nerd:

Amrik09
Quote From : kab012345 April 3, 2008, 9:33 pm
Quote From : Amrik09 April 3, 2008, 9:33 pm
Nice this !!!
One question!

Lol, thats what its for.

HEHE ;-D

Edited by Amrik09 : April 3, 2008, 10:42 pm

-----------------------
Board Image

jlhaslip

Single Database with a unique "prefix" for each Forum within the database.

-----------------------
Board Image

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
, Blazeme, jlhaslip, Will, BaKu, kab012345, bloomer, candidosa2, Alexandru, BRUNOVC, atsuki, haccer, angelus_ira, seaf2, van_wilder, Caveman, HuGoS, Veejay, ahmed_farouk, raciloni, riccy7422, rpg, acidtech, keith_h, Thomas_G, entergeozax, zenn, turknext, Aptyp, Buster, Taz, Isidoro, dpanov, najla0, zucaman, samuels, REDSEW, Aymenbnr, nos, WithTheBeat, asimo, lbpd719, campingcarooners786, ShaunY, cristrixy, pansel, CruzBishop, sohar_ankur

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

A2 Hosting